Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lack of Preparation!

Well, I´m already en route! What did I miss telling you of? Well, I missed telling you of my preparations! Why? Because I hardly prepared at all... and now I´m feeling it! I didn´t physically train. People... if you´re planning on walking El Camino any time soon, please please make the time to train! At least get your knees well prepared! No matter how much weight you carry in your backpack, the downhill trekkage is astoundingly difficult to bare - most especially in the heat of the Spanish afternoon sun! I left my shopping for the trip to the last minute too, and as a result, left my mosquito spray (both of them!) at home!


How´s the Guitar???
As you all know, I brought a sodding guitar with me! Am I crazy? Of course I am. Since walking my pilgrimage, I have been called ´crazy´, ´impressive´ and ´mad´, but also ´brave´ by the guy in the image on the right, whose name is David, from Bristol, and was running a lovely little first aid van, and offering all the pilgrims that were walking past refreshments such as ´English tea´ and coffee. He´s from the Society of Pilgrim Friars, of which he is now the only one left (which pulled a few of my heart strings, as he was such a lovely guy, and was doing much for the pilgrims who needed a break along
the way!
I don´t plan to start playing until I´ve found some more inspiration, and some peaceful surroundings with which I can compose!

So where am I now???
Well, yesterday I began my journey at St Jean Pied de Port at around 07:30 St. Jean to Roncesvalles, arriving at 16:00. I´d let excess baggage (such as my fake sunglasses! and French dictionary) at the
Albergue I stayed at. I crossed the Spanish border with the guitar strapped to my bag (making my bag weigh probably around 12kg, as opposed to 9.7kg)! This was a very difficult stage of the journey, as I climbed 1450m for about 21km and then descended a further 400m for the next 4kms.

Today, I write you from Huarte. But I must tell you, that I cheated a little! I walked to Akretta, which was about 28.2km between 06:30 and 14:30 from Roncesvalles, but with it being so late in the afternoon, I got worried about reaching the Albergue in Villava (a further 13km walk) any time before 20:00 (when dinner is served)! So a lady that was working at the hotel there, kindly offered me a lift to Huarte (which means I skipped about 14km of walking). This is meant to be a Pilgrimage... a walk. Am I kicking myself about it? A little, yes, but the lady said that she was coming back to the area that she dropped me off, for a festival, and she invited me to watch the festival with her and her kids. What was my reason for accepting the lift? Well...

Last night, I was calculating my daily distance allowance, in order to reach Santiago de Compostela for 24th June (the evening before the big feast day on Sunday 25th). Following the recommended route I can make it (just about) with no rest days. This wasn´t my original plan of course! I planned to take a rest day in Burgos and one in León! No way can I do that now! But along the route, is apparently a very beautiful Church called Eunate, which has the most amazing music - and most of you will know that Music plays a very big part of my life. Plus, I lug around this guitar to write some music. A place such as this would be an inspiration to stay at. However (and it´s a big however), it´s also not in a good place to spend the night if I followed the guide´s daily routine. I will either walk too little the day after tomorrow, or I will walk twice what I should from Akrreta! So I made the decision to grab the lift, and ensure that I reach somewhere with a Pharmacy so that I can purchase knee supports and other various tidbits!

Signs
God places signs for me to choose the right path. Everywhere I walk, I need to follow that bright yellow arrow, or pilgrim´s shell (I´ll post an image another time) in order to be taking the right
way. At no other time in my life, have I been so reliant on a sign. I believe so strongly in signs - that these are things God gifts me with in order to make a choice in the direction of my life. Particularly on this Camino, I feel an immense joy, knowing that I´ve seen a sign and that a) it means I´ve walked the right way, and b) it means I know where I´m heading in the near future. I believe that God wanted me to meet the woman who gave me a lift, and go to a festival with her and her kids. I hope to encounter many more signs on this very extraordinary and special journey... signs that will help me make the best decisions for my life in the near future!

A personal journey - El Camino
I don´t wish to update my blog as often as I hoped now. I´ve learned VERY quickly on this pilgrimage, that it´s a sacred and peaceful time - a time in which I will become closer to God through prayer, thought, reflection, and appreciation for everyone and everything in my life. Yesterday for example, I was eager to update my blog. Today however, I feel that even in my second day in, updating a blog with all my inner most thoughts and feelings just doesn´t sit well... not whilst I am on ´El Camino´. I will leave all that between God and myself. Neither do I want to feel that I should constantly be communicating with those outside of my pilgrimage. This is my me time with God. And I want to break away from communicating with the outside world. For now, it´s just God, the Holy Trinity, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and those that walk alongside me on my pilgrimage. So, really sorry everyone! I thought that communicating with you all would be a great thing to do, but actually, I want to take myself away from that as much as possible for the next 30 days! Therefore, I´ll aim to update this blog on or after a week´s time!

Once I have returned to the UK, I will be most happy to update my blog with practical advice for the other pilgrims about to embark on this journey (errr... don´t bring any musical instrument unless you really need to!!!) such as... what´s in the backpack?! and what gear you really do need on you!

Bye for now!
Check back in about a week´s time when I´ll post up some of the best images I´ve taken so far! God Bless! And if you are religious, please pray for me (and my exhausted knees!)! Otherwise, please keep me in your thoughts for a
buen camino!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment